Friday, October 26, 2007

Just a quick update. School’s been pickin up and I’ve got a paper to write. Here’s what’s happened since my last post:

The boys went to Mt. Kenya. It was real lonely without them here. Pretty much everyone was gone that weekend. John and I hung out a lot and talked about how we are sometimes the same person. We have the same life goals and say the same thing at the same time a lot. Who knew I would get along with a frat boy. Me and three of my boys went to Carnivore (my first time) one of the nights. It was a “Stop Light” party; you got either a red, yellow, or green wristband depending your availability. Danced a fair amount. (Its nice being the only girl…you’ve always got someone to dance with!) There was a surprise performance by some Kenyan artist that everyone there knew. Met some other USIUers, such as Jackson, aka “Senator”… he’s a rapper and is a big deal. I like to think were best friends, but we probably aren’t.

Anyway, our boys are superheroes and finished climbing great Mt Kenya a day early and we had a big reunion when they got back to campus. Mike and I looked at his pictures. Mt Kenya looks like another planet. They saw these huge rodent-like creatures that are apparently related to elephants. Who knows. They kind of creep me out. It felt good to have everyone home. I was nervous Josh wasn’t gonna make it. But he did.

Then all last week I worked on a paper for my Ideologies class. It was the first paper I ever started more than a day or two before it was due. Not bad. Started my humanitarian law paper on Friday and finished Saturday. Sunday (today) I started my development paper that’s due tomorrow at 5pm. Im gonna do it up real big and pull and all-nighter to get it finished. John and Sadie already gave up and went to bed and are just gonna turn it in late. Im a pro and am just gonna get it done. I hate procrastinating.

Earlier this week Catherine and Mike had a watermelon seed spitting contest. Their target was Jaydon’s face. (His suggestion.) I don’t think there was a winner. Also, another time we were eating outside, a praying mantis was on my neck. Ahhh! Only in Africa.

So, this week I have a paper due tomorrow, and mid-terms on Tues, Wed, and Thur. After that I’m pretty much done with school cept for one more paper, a group proj, and finals. Other than that, these are my travel destinations that will occupy nearly every weekend left here in Afrika:


- Uganda road trip
- Amboseli National Park (KEI safari at Mt Kilimanjaro)
- Dubai (hell yes.)
- Mombasa (beaches!)
- Egypt (riding camels and seeing the ‘mids)


Things I miss most right now:
Sydney bean
High-speed, reliable internet
Having internet that’s in more than 3 places
Food, glorious food. Someone send me a package with a burrito, a sandwich, pasta, an egg sandwich, and a huuuge salad. Please.

No comments: